Thursday, June 30, 2016

Syphilitic Stroke Fells Symbolist Poet Charles Baudelaire at 46


Charles Baudelaire was a mama’s boy and a decadent ne’er-do-well, who wrote a group of poems known as The Flowers of Evil that profoundly influenced generations of future poets--even though many of the poems were denounced as obscene and six of them were banned in France until 1949. Poor Baudelaire also had gonorrhea and syphilis (acquired in the usual disreputable manner) and a fondness for opium, laudanum, and cognac, which conspired to snuff out his life at the age of forty-six.

Born in Paris April 9, 1821, Baudelaire was always close to his mother, a relationship that deepened after his father died when Charles was six. But the following year, she remarried a French diplomat and military officer named Jacques Aupick, whom Charles regarded as a rival for his mother’s affection. In a letter written to her years later he spoke of his “passionate love” for her as a child. After his stepfather’s death, when Charles was thirty-six, he wrote to his mother: “I believe that I belong to you absolutely, and that I belong only to you.”

Young Charles was sent to boarding school in Lyon and then studied law at the Lycée Louis-le-Grand in Paris, where he spent much of his time running up  expenses for dandified clothes, liquor, and prostitutes.  Throughout his life Baudelaire wheedled money out of his mother to cover his debts. In desperation his stepfather shipped him out as a crewman on a freighter to India, but he jumped ship and returned to Paris, where, lo and behold!, having reached the age of twenty-one, he inherited a small fortune of 99,568 francs from his late father’s estate. That would probably be something in excess of half a million dollars in today’s buying power, and it enabled Baudelaire to live a playboy’s life—until he had spent almost half the inheritance and his parents managed to put the remainder in trust, granting him only a small monthly allowance. 

During this period, Baudelaire became involved with Jeanne Duval, a Haitian-born sometime actress and the inspiration for a series of “Black Venus” poems. Baudelaire’s family vehemently rejected his relationship with her, whether because of her ethnicity or her profession is not clear. Jeanne and Charles remained off-and-on lovers for the rest of his life, although he also engaged in dalliances with a voluptuous blonde actress named Marie Daubrun and a demimondaine named Apolonie Sabatier, who conducted a salon that attracted the likes of Gustave Flaubert, Théophile Gautier, and Ernest Feydeau.

In 1857 Baudelaire published his chief (and practically his only) poetic work, Les Fleurs du Mal, which launched the French symbolist movement in poetry, deeply affecting such followers as Paul Verlaine, Artur Rimbaud, and Stéphane Mallarmé, as well as Ezra Pound, T. S. Eliot and many later poets. Baudelaire’s poems deal with taboo subjects like death and sexual activity of many varieties, which he treated in sensual detail. Six poems deal with lesbian love, and he and his publisher were tried and convicted of an offense against public morals, barely escaping prison time. The six poems were were banned from publication in France, a prohibition not lifted until 1949.

Always strapped for cash, Baudelaire saw his financial position worsen when his publisher went bankrupt in 1861. Belgium offered the prospect of income from lectures and the sale of his books, so Baudelaire moved there in 1863.  But his lifelong indulgence in drugs and alcohol, combined with the continuing symptoms of venereal diseases, resulted in his collapse in the Church of Saint-Loup in Namur in 1866. This was followed by a series of strokes in which he suffered loss of speech and partial paralysis. He returned to Paris and entered a nursing home, where, after a year’s confinement, he died on August 31, 1867, at the age of forty-six. He was buried in the Montparnasse Cemetery.

During his final days, Baudelaire was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church, but whether he was actually a religious believer is a subject of great speculation.  Certainly his poems are filled with Christian symbolism, but there are also references to Satanism. There is a famous story of  Baudelaire’s close friend, the one-named photographer Nadar, a free thinker who often visited Baudelaire in the nursing home.  One day Nadar asked Baudelaire, “How can you possibly believe in God and an afterlife?” Unable to speak, Baudelaire smiled and gestured toward a glorious sunset over the Arc de Triomphe. Most likely Baudelaire remained an unwilling agnostic until the end of his life, for as he wrote in a letter to his mother in 1861: “I desire with all my heart—and with a sincerity which no one except myself will ever understand—to believe that an external invisible being is interested in my fate; but what must one do to believe it?”

10 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, it is no longer news that the Acquired immune deficiency syndrome Herpes Virus is increasing by the day. The fear is that many people living with the sickness are scared of saying it because of the stigma that comes along with it.I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 years ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from hospital to another but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, 0n a faithfull day. I went online and i come acrosn someone who was testifying about a doctor call DR,Abolo About his herbal medecin, and i never believe in such thing but heart keeps trouble me so i decided to give it a try i contact him on his whatApp number in 7 days time i received my package then i follow the instructions giving by him i used the herbal drugs for two weaks and the doctor ask me go for check up because i was having some changes from my body i was feeling strong and healthy i went to my doctor for check up for my greatest surprise i was negative my doctor was full of surprise, then i decided to share the goood news because i know that there thausands of people out there who wre surffering from a lot of disease please help yourself and contact him on his whatApp number for a quick respond +2347044725611 and you can still reach him on his gmail draboloherbalhome@gmail.com can cure disease such as, GENITAL WARTS/ HIV AIDS. DIABETICS STROKE. H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE 5. HUMA PAPAILOMAVIRUS. HERPES. SYPHILIS. CANCER. HEPATITIS A B and C. HIGH BLOOD PRESSURES THANK TO YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME OF READING MY TESTIMONY AND MOST ESPECIALLY YOU Dr ABOLO A VERY BIG THANK YOU TOU MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  3. The greatest Joy in my life today is that i have been cured of Herpes by a Doctor called Dr. Ishiaku, I was infected with HERPES Disease in 2019, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution,so that my body can be okay. Until one faithful day as I was browsing on the internet I saw a testimony on how Dr. Ishiaku has helped people in curing Herpes and other diseases, quickly copied his WhatsApp number so I contacted him for a solution for my Herpes disease, So Dr. Ishiaku told me that he was going to prepare his herbal medicine for my health which he sent to me, luckily after 2week my Herpes was cured. Dr Ishiaku is well recognized as one of the best herbalist doctors in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or cry anymore on this disease when the cure is available. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT,there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cures  ALS, HIV AIDS,  HPV, DIABETES and lots more.
    For enquiries:
    E-mail: ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com
    WhatsApp: +2348180828544

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you having issues in your relationship, or finding it difficult to have a child of your own or are you the type having any diseases in your body. I will advice you to contact Dr. Abolo of Abolospell@gmail.com . The potency of his spell is so effective and can reunite broken relationship and can also make one get pregnant know matter the situation and not only that, he also has the power to cure all type of diseases within the period of 48hours.. Contact him today and thank me later.



    Contact details : Abolospell@gmail.com

    You can also send him a MSG on whatsapp directly via: +27743411428.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WE CAN HELP SOLVE YOUR FINANCIAL PROBLEM WITH CASH
    Do you need a Loan?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for a Loan to enlarge your business?
    I think you have come to the right place.
    We offer Loans at low interest rate.
    Interested people should please contact us on
    For immediate response to your application, Kindly
    reply to this emails below only.
    Whats app +918256953815
    ushaservicesonline@gmail.com
    Please, do provide us with the Following information if interested.

    1) Full Name:………
    2) Gender:………
    3) Loan Amount Needed:………
    4) Loan Duration:………
    5) Country:………
    6) Home Address:………
    7) Mobile Number:………
    8)Monthly Income:…………………
    9)Occupation:………………………
    )Which site did you here about us…………………

    Thanks and Best Regards.
    ushaservicesonline@gmail.com
    +918256953815

    ReplyDelete

  6. FINANCIAL PLANNING LOAN COMPANY
    DO YOU NEED A FINANCIAL HELP? ARE YOU IN ANY FINANCIAL CRISIS OR DO YOU NEED FUNDS TO START UP YOUR OWN BUSINESS? DO YOU NEED FUNDS TO SETTLE YOUR DEBT OR PAY OFF YOUR BILLS OR START A GOOD BUSINESS? DO YOU HAVE A LOW CREDIT SCORE AND YOU ARE FINDING IT HARD TO OBTAIN CAPITAL SERVICES FROM LOCAL BANKS AND OTHER FINANCIAL INSTITUTES? HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO OBTAIN FINANCIAL SERVICES FROM OUR COMPANY. WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING FINANCE TO INDIVIDUALS- *COMMERCIAL FINANCE *PERSONAL FINANCE *BUSINESS FINANCE *CONSTRUCTION FINANCE *BUSINESS FINANCE AND MANY MORE: FOR MORE DETAILS.CONTACT ME VIA. EMAIL Email us: indiabullsfinance366@gmail.com All Cash seeker should contact us Whats App +91-9599047193

    ReplyDelete
  7. GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK NOW OR GET YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP, MARRIAGE RESTORED.

    I’m just upset that I have been in pain and crying for so long and many times. Thank you dromokpo@gmail.com
    I wished I would have found you earlier, you would have saved me from a lot of pain for the past five years my ex lover left me for another woman in just 2 days i contacted you Dr Omokpo you brought my broken relationship back
    I spent a small fortune enough to take my dream trip to South Carolina but what’s the point in taking a dream trip without the love of my life. Dr Omokpo has given me hope and his honesty is a breath of fresh air, I feel so good and heavy happiness in my heart to get my ex lover back. Who I thought he was gone forever. We are married now as I share my testimony with you. If you have broken relationship or broken marriage or you want to get your ex lover back kindly contact: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  8. It’s not longer a news that this deadly ailment called STROKE now have a cure through Herbal medication, for those of you still in doubt, I am a living witness. I have been living with Stroke for as long as I can remember. We all know that the stigma of Stroke can be harder to treat than the disease itself. I hope we know even most of the pharmaceutical drugs are product of Herbs.To know more about it, Check out this blog: curetostroke.blogspot.com . Don't forget to share to those in need also. or schedule a consult with him via: drallenchase@gmail.com. Please also share your testimonies to inspire others.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This information will greatly help stroke patients, I suffered a massive ischemic stroke, I was forced to give up work after having a stroke, but the medication I used proved there is life after stroke and I decided to share my testimony. It is a misconception that strokes can not be cured or reversed as stated by professionals. I am living proof that improvement and cure is certain with Herbal Medicine, death from stroke can be defeated. When I had the stroke, I felt trapped inside my body. I knew that everything that was 'me' was still there, but I couldn't communicate. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever gone through. With Herbal Medicine, and his recommended healthy diet, I consider myself regaining as much as 99.9% back to my old normal and satisfied. It is in short, an answer to prayer. I'd recommend any stroke patient to contact Dr. Allen for advice and more information with email:drallenchase@gmail.com or visit: curetostroke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to robinsonbucler@gmail. com, I am free from HERPES ………………

    ReplyDelete